So, only a month late writing this, which is a new record for me 😉.
I am finally getting around to writing my Destin travel diary/guide, and I have the insider scoop on all the good places to eat/stay/do fun stuff at since I have been going there for as long as I can remember!
Destin has become increasingly popular over the years and is now absolutely crazy during the summer time, so I recommend if possible to go in early May when the weather is super nice but the crowds are smaller!
Growing up, we always stayed in condos either at the Tops’l Resorts or Silver Shells, both wonderful complexes with great amenities and in the heart of Destin. But, the past couple of years, we have started to go with Derick’s family as well as ours and splitting a beach house, which we have loved! A couple years ago, we stayed at a duplex called Son of a Beach, at Miramar Beach just a few miles down from Destin. Having such a private beach that was not as touristy and we could do our own set up with corn hole and music and such, was so nice! The duplex we had this year was in Destin and was right next to a public beach access, so while we still had a good trip there, I would not recommend it compared to ones on Miramar Beach in regards to crowds and lack of marine life. Anywho, on to the fun recommends!
Places to eat:
These places are literally the only places that we will eat at down in Destin! They are the gold standard when it comes to ocean front restaurants, sporting the best menus, drinks, and atmospheres. Also, depending on where you stay, some of them will only be a short beach walk away from where you’re staying!
– For breakfast:
- The Donut Hole (not beach front, but a Destin classic with great donuts and even better eggs benny!)
- The Crab Trap (killer crab dip with pita bread)
- Harry T’s (Thursday nights there is an amazing fireworks show on the bay!)
- Pompano Joe’s
- The Back Porch
Now that I am officially salivating, let’s move on to fun!
Fun things to do:
- Dolphin cruise– this cruise is infamous in both of our families as the booze cruise that we hijacked. With the occasional dolphin sighting, but unlimited drinks and good music, it makes for a party especially if you are with a group! They
- Mini golf– I had never mini-golfed before this past trip, and I loved it! The put-put course that Destin has is huge and a ton of fun with some really cool and tricky holes. Fun for all ages!
- Sky coaster and cyclone rides– for the thrill seeker traveling to Destin, these rides are super fun and right next to put-put if you wanna bundle the fun together!
- Walking around Harbor Walk Village, Destin Commons, or Destin Outlet Mall– if your idea of vacay is walking around and popping in and out of shops and exploring, Destin has a lot of cool outdoor malls that have such cute little shops, and outdoor activities and amenities.
And of course, couldn’t go without sharing one final outfit from our beach week! I got asked a lot about these shorts on our trip, and they were a $6 altard state semi annual sale purchase, but I’ve found similars for everything!
White crop: Hollister (old, similar here for only $6 with code americanbabe,) Scalloped Shorts: Altard State (similar here, here for $10 with code YAY50,) White eyelet sandals: Amazon, Bracelet stack: Altard State.
Hope this is helpful to anyone traveling/considering traveling down to Destin, I promise you once you go, it’ll be a lifetime travel favorite ☺️.
Konnor with a K