Happy weekend friends!
After purchasing and working on this hutch slowlyyyy (like months slowly,) I am pleased to share that I have finally finished this deceptively difficult piece of furniture and am so happy with the results! Aside from the fact that it is actually huge and was incredibly difficult to paint, let alone sand and prime (note all of the tiny little nooks and crannies,) I also had to do it whenever I had the time and energy to go over to Derick’s house and work on it for a few hours at a time until it was done! Needless to say, it was a labor of love, but I learned so much from taking on this piece and can’t wait to apply it to future pieces I refinish. Refurbishing furniture is such a great way to furnish a home on a budget, and not to mention there is so much pride that comes with looking at a piece you’ve done and knowing you made it that way! I wanted to share to help anyone who may not know where to start, like myself originally, but wants to get a little crafty!
Total project cost: roughly $130
I found this hutch on a local craigslist that was originally listed for $100, which I negotiated down to $75, and then the rest of the costs were just from materials! A great thing about refinishing is that if you take care of your materials such as brushes, rollers, etc…you can use many of them again at future times to avoid additional costs on other projects again!
I couldn’t find the original Pinterest DIY that I used to do this, but I deviated from a few of the steps suggested anyhow so I’ll just share what I did.
- Piece of furniture (duh)
- Hand sander (I use this one with a fine grit paper)
- Piece of sand paper or sanding block for more detailed areas of pieces
- Primer (I used this one)
- Paint: I used Behr Premium Plus Ultra Stain Blocking Paint and Primer in One in “Rustic Taupe.” I used a Semi-Gloss finish, but you can choose a different finish depending on your desired look! I knew that the glossier the paint, the easier it should be to clean, and since I wanted a little shine that is what I picked!
- Polyurethane (I used this wipe on poly)
- Standard paint brush of your choosing
- Foam roller (I used this one)
- Paint tray
- Tack cloth (VERY IMPORTANT!)
- Spray paint for fixtures (I used a Rust-oleum matte black spray paint and did a few coats on the existing fixtures!)
- Wood filler (if your piece has any cracks, chipped areas, etc. that you’d like to fill, this is a quick and easy way to do it!)
- Spackle knife
- Paint can spout lid (LIFE SAVER)
The how-to: I’ll try to keep this brief haha!
- Thoroughly clean your entire piece before you start your project (I used Murphy’s Oil to give it a good cleaning!)
- Once your piece is clean, remove all of the doors/drawers. Use the wood filler if needed, and sand using the sanding tool of your choice until there is no sheen to the piece (it does not need to be sanded down to bare wood!)
- After sanding, use tack-cloth to get all the sanding dust off of your piece, and clean again and wipe dry after if necessary.
- Next comes the priming! For the best results, use your paint brush and get all of the corners/nooks first, and then roll the larger areas with your foam roller.
- After you’ve done one full coat and let it dry, you can begin painting! With each coat, make sure to check the surface once it has dried to ensure that no dust/dirt/hair has settled on it, as this will not give you an even finish. Do it in the same way you primed, getting all of the corners and such first and then rolling the large areas. I did two coats for my piece after letting the first coat dry, and for my second coats, I didn’t redo all of the corners, I mostly just touched up certain areas that I coated with a paint brush and then just rerolled the large areas!
- Lastly, wipe on some poly with an old t-shirt or lint-free cloth to give a nice protective coat to the piece and a nice sheen, then let dry, place the drawers/doors back in their place (I decided to not incorporate the door because I thought keeping that area open would make for a great bar display!), and enjoy your finished product! 🙂
Overall, despite this being a really difficult project, I’ve felt so happy that I tackled something like this! And now that I’m slightly obsessed, I have about 8 other pieces of furniture lined up to refinish, so I’d better get to it! I will continue to share how we are slowly turning what will be our house into a home before and after marriage, feel free to follow along if you feel so inclined. 🙂
Konnor with a K